Monday 9 May 2011

BAD HABIT

Bad Habit Piece by Christopher Coker


Okay so at times I can go astray with this pattern just drawing on random things. The background behind the piece was done a few years back when I just went mental with it. Some parts begun to fade as you can see. There was a night that I just picked up my marker pen and started to just draw as if I was in a trance. This was done at my parents home after I decided to turn my old bedroom into an art studio.

The main piece that I am holding I call "Bad Habit" if you can guess why. In the 30's through to the 50's smoking was a fad and a cool thing to do. People would smoke as a symbol of status to portray a look or identity of importance. Nowadays in the UK you can't smoke in enclosed public areas due to legislative law changing. Now on cigarette boxes they have images of people with bleeding gums, a heart operation and pictures of little children saying "smoking may seriously harm you and others around you". Oh how times have changed. The inspiration for this piece came whilst I standing and observing a lady smoke. Focusing upon the smoke itself I imagined my swirl pattern emanating from the fumes as the smoke spiraled around her. A light bulb moment came into effect.

Its a simple piece that only took around an hour to carve and another hour to treat. Not too bad for something mocked up in that time. Due to the detail it was quite a short piece. A3 landscape size to be exact and the original image of this came from istock. Well all I can say is more to come and I do hope you like. Next week I'll be displaying another piece from the Animal Carving series.

Also don't forget kids - SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH


Love & Light

No comments:

Post a Comment