Thursday 2 June 2011

MOORISH ARTISTRY & ANTIQUITY / PERSONA

Moorish guard with Tiger in Granada






Anyone that really knows me - Christopher Coker,  knows what I like and what I'm into, I mean anybody who really knows me knows. My admiration for the Moorish antiquity and  culture is embedded in my veins and pump's through my heart. For some time it has caught my attention due to the fact that 1) it is not an art form that is prevalent within the confines of the U.K. and 2) the patterns that I construct are not far from the treatment that is seen within Moorish / Moroccan / Islamic art. The art, patterns  and fine detail of Islamic art not only has a heavy influence on me throughout my work but also culturally as a descendant of the great Fulani and Yoruba peoples.


Fulani women traveling

Yoruba Drummer Olatunji 
The geometrical compositions and mathematical calculations of symmetry and angles speak many volumes of greatness in the given ability to not only see past what is regarded as symbolic but also universally limitless in the different variations of patterns and shapes. One would only have to observe the great Mosque of Alhambra in Spain to know what I mean of when I speak of great detail and composition that captures your attention. This has heavily influenced my work and continues to allow me to evolve further beyond what is considered as standard or mundane art forms. My passion for this art form grows by the day and a lot of my recent concepts have been based upon Zouaq. From the tiling, to fabric prints, jewelery and paintings this has really been the key to my soul due to my appreciation of this art form.









The ability to be able to perfect this practice is a timely process of patience and the ability to be able to co-ordinate patterns and images in their respected places. Not only is is the look of such designs that take to me but also the application of such beauty full design and craft -








Fulani Woman with decorative hand art
Musician Madlib with Moroccan Jewelery

What does it for me is the overall results of the pattern and how it looks after it has been applied. The test for me would be to find a more strict guideline as to how the patterns that I come out with will have a more uniformed / symmetrical approach. Time and great effort will be used in order for the outcomes to be successful and unique in the PERSONA way.
PERSONA version by Christopher T Coker
I'm not really going in to great detail about how I went about doing this piece and or even how long it took to design. What I will mention is the fact that this was just the beginning for me to be introduced into a new wave or paradyme of design that I am comfortable executing. A new collection for the Moorish / Persona paradyme is now in effect and is soon or yet to be completed.

No matter how long it takes for my collections to be completed, no matter what struggles that I face and overcome, at some point in my life I will exhibit one of the greatest cultural exhibitions that will be ever displayed to the general public. Marking my words as time will tell is almost like chaos magik. Birthing a new reality and new wave of design is now Persona's purpose for delivering great design and having the confidence to not only challenge myself but also the nay sayers and those that do not hold faith in me. I thank you.

Please stay prepared to see some work never seen before !

I say all that to say

Love & Light

No comments:

Post a Comment